Residential Learning Coordinator - Wesley
Yiramalay/Wesley Studio School
The Yiramalay/Wesley Studio School is a major educational initiative of the partnership between the Aboriginal people of the Fitzroy Valley Community in the Kimberley, Western Australia, and the community of Wesley College, Melbourne. The Studio School is a registered school in Western Australia located on Leopold Downs Station in the Kimberley.
The Yiramalay/Wesley Studio School offers full-time residential industry learning and training opportunities to aboriginal students from the Fitzroy Valley who enrol in Years 10, 11 and 12. These students learn alongside Wesley students from Melbourne in studying within the ACER Senior Years Learning Framework which includes the Certificate II in Work Preparation (22076VIC).
The Studio School is in session in the Kimberley, Western Australia during the dry season in Terms 2 and 3, and then in Melbourne during Terms 1 and 4.
The primary role of this position is to provide pastoral care and support services for the students of the Yiramalay/Wesley Studio School, and to contribute to the implementation of the program across the year, in a manner that is consistent with the philosophy, policy and practice prescribed by the school.
In making this appointment, the College is seeking applicants who, among other qualities, can demonstrate:
- Previous experience in a pastoral care leadership role
- The ability to build trusting relationships with students and staff and quality interactions with them
- Effective involvement in the general pastoral care program and structures of the Yiramalay/Wesley Studio School
- Flexibility in assisting with addressing unscheduled tasks that need immediate attention with regard to pastoral issues
- An understanding of the personal/social development and educational needs of adolescents and young adults
- Highly developed interpersonal skills
- Strong communication and organisational skills
This position is available for commencement in Term 2 (15 April 2013) and will initially be based at the Studio School in Western Australia. This opportunity is for the balance of the 2013 school year, with potential for renewal.
This is a rare opportunity to be involved in a unique educational program and to make a lasting impact on the lives of young adults today. Professional development and individual mentoring, as well as a range of attractive employment benefits are offered.